Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Silence is golden

So Saturday, I went to a silent retreat at church. 6 HOURS of silence!!! That's a big deal for me! No talking, no singing, no NOTHING! It was actually really, really amazing. Unfortunately, I didn't feel well, so I spent a big portion of the day sniffling and sneezing. At the end, we gathered back together (probably about 100 women or so) for communion. Dr. Norris gave a short sermon, and the we broke bread together--literally. Instead of communion wafers, we tore off pieces of bread and handed them to each other (although my row tore off their own). Horribly enough (blasphemy) all I could think about were the germs that was all of the bread by the time it got to me! Then, they did the cup Catholic style--one big goblet where everyone drinks out of it, then wipes. Don't get me wrong, I think that is such a neat thing! But the Catholics use real wine...which kills germs! AND-it's the middle of flu season!!! The poor girl beside me was probably freaking out, cause I had been sneezing like a machine gun for the whole sermon, clutching my kleenex....lucky for her, I let the cup pass by... I was disappointed that I didn't fully participate in communion, as I have never had 3 hours to prepare my heart for it like I did that day. However, I know I did the right thing not introducing my sick germs into the cup.

Hopefully, I'll get over this mess soon. I haven't started training at all for our April 9th race date! YIKES!!! Wetsuits and bike shorts, here I come!

3 Comments:

At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A "silent retreat"? That is a cool idea. Where are you going to church up there?

Alana

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Christy said...

I go to 4 Presbyterian in Bethesda. It's weird going to a Pres. church--but it's Evangelical Pres--very conservative, Baptistish...no women deacons, no homosexual preachers, etc! Plus, a good friend goes there too, and alot of new friends, so it's nice to have people to sit with, go to lunch, be involved with and all that. I started teaching Sunday school a few weeks ago-5th grade girls, so fun! How are you? Back at Fellowship?

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

so we are doing the April 9th race now...we need to figure this out sistah...unless your talking and training on the side :( I feel left out...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home