Monday, October 17, 2005

Change of plans....

Well, lot's has occurred since my last post! Namely, I missed my tri on Saturday morning and went to NJ/NYC for the weekend instead! Missing the race was really sad for me, however, the make-up (free trip to NYC) was nice! By Friday, everyone had to cancel their participation in the race on Saturday morning for various reasons and my precious friend Nancy (see pic from my first tri) had agreed to get up at zero past dark to go with me. I was super bummed about doing the race alone...but loving Nancy for going with me! But then, about 10pm Friday nite after the "Lite the Nite" walk (we were volunteering for Michelle--see b-day girl below) Anne and I were having a drink (I was carbo-loading, thank you!) and we figured out a BRILLIANT plan to make both the race AND the trip to NYC (she had to visit a friend "in town"--thus the need to go to NYC in the first place!). By 1 am, Anne had arrived at my place, stuff packed, bike loaded, ready to nap and head south for a tri at 4 am!!! I was giddy!!! Then...the alarm went off. At 4. Did I mention the AM part?? It's amazing how the cold, darkness of 4 am can seep into your bones and zap all of your motivation and hope for a race that you've longed for!! To make a long story short, I woke Anne up--she agreed that it was early AND dark and sleep is good--we decided to bail on the race and hit NJ early instead.

We headed to NJ about noon. Beautiful day for a ride. We got lost in Baltimore trying to find Taco Bell (yes, baltimore is only 40 miles away)...stopped at a fun roadside veggie stand....made it to Linda's parents about 5:30. Had a great dinner, chilled with the family and friends and kiddos, went to bed by 11. Got up Sunday morning and got ready for church and headed to the Big Apple to attend Redeemer Presbyterian at 10:30 am. We got lost a time or two...and we paid $29 to park--but otherwise, church was awesome and worth every penny! It was a communion Sunday, which is always neat in a new place...but in New York??!! God is there! We went to Central Park, Neil's diner for lunch, took the subway to grand central station, shoe shopped (did I mention I was with Anne??) and tooled around the city like it was no big deal. We even DROVE thru Times Square. I had a few moments of redneck reflection.....it is amazing to me that I now live closer to NYC than my folks do to Memphis. CRAZY. I also ate a few words....seems at some point in time I said that people from NY were mean/rude....that couldn't have been further from the truth this time. We literally had people stop to speak, offer directions, and just be generally kind and polite. It was awesome. Seems it was so much fun we're going back very soon to spend a longer time. I can't wait!
Sitting in Central Park.
On the street outside church and parking garage.

1 Comments:

At 5:16 PM, Blogger The Gallaghers said...

Jessica and I had a great time in NYC when there for the convention last year. We really loved it. Lots of fun....let me mention that I do NOT want to leave there by any means though!
Hannah wants to go there for her december birthday....small wish!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home