Thursday, September 29, 2005

BIG DAY on the way...

Okay, I know it's only Thursday...but I am so nervous about Saturday already that I can barely stand it!!! I woke up this morning with a funny, swirly feeling in my stomach. In 48 hours I will have completed (in one way or another) my very first, official, sprint-distance, sanctioned triathlon! I'll either be dead, near death, in the process of being resussitated or struggling across the finish line on my own power at this very moment Saturday! What a thought! It is so funny--I know everybody around me (with the exception of my friend, Anne, who is in the race with me) is so tired of hearing about it. It's just amazing how it can consume you so quickly and completely. What can I say? I'm an addictive personality. I went on a long ride last nite up and down some GARGANTUAN hills, so I'm laying low tonite with the exception of a 25 minute swim and small run brick. Picture this....around 7:30, I'll be at the MAC pool in Bethesda...in the pool for a short swim on this my last official training day before the Osprey Sprint Triathlon...only I'm going to be in a wetsuit. Oiy vey. The inconvienance, the pain, the hotness, the utter humiliation....wetsuits are not very flattering or forgiving! So not only do I have to wear one in the race on Saturday (cause the bay is cold...and a wetsuit pretty much ensures you won't drown), I also have to practice my swim in one tonite at the Bethesda pool....in front of all the yuppie divers and their parents....fun times. Oh the price of feeding the addiction..... Oh, by the way....the suit itself is black with a BIG GIANT SPRAYPAINTED WORD ON THE BUTT--"BONZAI." Isn't that what the Japanese suicide bombers said before they crashed into the US ships??

1 Comments:

At 4:35 PM, Blogger The Gallaghers said...

"BONZAI--Pronunciation: (")bän-'zI, 'bän-"
Function: noun
Etymology: Japanese
: a Japanese cheer or war cry"

I am SMILING SO BIG right now. This is too enjoyable. PLease make certain someone takes photos of this occassion to post. Remember that a picture is worth a thousand words. Amazingly, I never would have thought of you stirring the passions of Japenese warriors in this way....I'm impressed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home