Monday, July 16, 2007

First day at the office!

I started my new job at Blackboard today!!! It was a great day--tiring, but good. I didn't get a nap (which I've gotten used to!) so at 3:30ish I was struggling...but overall, it was a very good day. From 9-12:30 I had orientation w/ HR. Then I went to lunch with my boss and 2 other team members--one new one and a veteran. After lunch we got our computers, phones, set up email, etc...then met with my new boss Sara for a couple of hours. It was a good day. One funny story....

We all went to lunch together, right? Nice conversation, chit chatting, etc... One of my new co-workers was talking about having a baby with his girlfriend who is Jewish (which put us on the topic of religion). He mentions (emphatically) that he is Catholic but HATES the Catholic church b/c of the rapist priests (who doesn't hate a rapist priest). Keep in mind, this boy is CHATTY. Likes to talk and probably just talks to hear himself sometimes (don't even think about saying me too about me!)...ANYWAY...to make a long story short, he asks me what religion I am (keep in mind--first day of work at lunch with my boss and teammates) and I say that I'm an evangelical Christian, to which he says, "what??" I say, 'I am a born-again Christian." He says: "Oh. Those 'born agains' are bad news! I dated Billy Graham's granddaughter and she was BAD." Okay---he's just called me bad news and insulted my hero, Billy Graham. So I take a breath, look around and say: "Well, luckily, I believe as an 'evangelical, born-again, Christ-follower that I'll be forgiven for being bad news!" My boss is staring, my Jewish teammate is staring, and my new co-worker backs down, thankfully! Cause I might have had to take him out if he said anything else about Billy Graham. Talk about laying it all on the line right up front. Loverman says that I pulled the equivalent of putting the Christian fish on my car. Then she asked if I 'outed' her too. Lord, help me!!!






Here's what I wore on my first day....there was some debate about what I would wear. So I settled on my new skirt, suit jacket, and new cute shoes (which you can't see unfortunately). The controversy was because of the "business casual" office. Suit or not? So I compromised. For the record, I was the most dressed up by a long shot!

Shout out to my girl Loverman, who stayed over and went with me to work so I wouldn't have to go by myself!!! Thanks, Loverman!!!

4 Comments:

At 1:46 PM, Blogger amyj said...

You are so tan!! And please don't show anymore cat pictures. Please.
aj

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger The Gallaghers said...

congrats. I know you'll do great!

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

Woohoo - I think I remember you saying that you did indeed 'out' me :)

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

Anyway - loved the outfit and it was a good compromise for the first day (says she who is currently wearing jeans and flip flops at work - love it!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home